Intel Announces Next Generation XScale Processors
At the Intel Developer Forum, going on now in San Francisco, Intel has announced some details on its next generation XScale technology.
The new line of mobile processors is codenamed Monahans. According to Intel, this product family will offer a wide range of performance, power and integration levels to meet the needs of handsets, smartphones, handhelds and consumer electronic devices.
Monahans is expected to provide five times more performance within the next few years, while consuming less energy than previous Intel-based platforms.
A pre-production Monahans chip running at 1.25 GHz was demonstrated palying back a HD quality video on a PDA. The new line is expected to be formally launched in Q4 2005.
Noting that high-tech companies are growing again as a result of delivering exciting new products, Intel Corporation CEO and President Paul S. Otellini said the industry is on a new "performance per watt" course that will deliver powerful Intel-based computers that are increasingly smaller, sleeker and more energy-efficient.
Otellini also announced that forthcoming lower-power products will lead to a new category of ultra energy-efficient "Handtop PC" devices that provide a converged communication and PC-like experience but require less than a watt of processing power and weigh under a pound.
Article Comments(33 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife