Confirmed: Layoffs at Palm Inc Today
updated PalmInfocenter has heard from reliable source that Palm is announcing layoffs today. Unconfirmed reports indicate that Palm has already begun to notify employees and a possible announcement may come sometime later this week.
Palm currently employs around 1,247 people. While we don't have an official confirmation at this time, a few ex-emplyees have come forward with claims that the layoffs are worldwide and could number in the hundreds. The company had their last round of layoffs back in June, with reports indicating around 100 people were let go.
This latest round of job cuts comes after Palm issued a loss warning last week due to a projected revenue shortfall. Palm reports its full results for the current financial quarter on Dec 18th. A conference call with investors will follow.
An article on CNET cites an unnamed Palm representative who confirms our report.
One tipster who initially alerted us to the layoffs claims as many as 500 employees worldwide could be let go. (We've been unable to verify the exact number of people affected, however we do have confirmation that our initial report of "hundreds" is indeed accurate.)
Palm has issued the following statement to PalmInfocenter:
Palm is working to sharpen its focus and better align resources behind core initiatives that will make the greatest impact to our business. To this end, and to ensure that our expenses are in line with projected revenues, we have made some reassignments and reductions in staff. This will better enable us to compete most effectively and ensure our long-term success.
Article Comments(75 comments)
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah