Is Palm Building their own OS?
Rumor: Speculation is in the air again that Palm Inc is working on their own operating system for future mobile devices. David Beers is reporting on his blog that a analyst "in the know" privately confirmed that Palm is experimenting with developing its own Linux based operating system.
The analyst I communicated with by email has been privy to Palm's plans in the past, so I asked if he could confirm my conclusion that Palm is writing their own Linux OS. He did, and they are. [...]
"We know about it. Palm has stated on several occasions than 80% of their engineers are software engineers, they are perfectly able to design their own operating system and are working on it."
Job postings for Linux development first began to appear on Palm's job site back in August 2005. At the time, Palm was hiring linux software engineers, smartphone browser developers as well as a positions for mobile handset development. David Beers also points out that there is a current listing for a Linux engineer that specifically mentions development of a new "software platform."
Rumors that Palm was planning a Linux based feature-phone were also published last October. Linux enthusiasts have also made some progress on getting a home-brew version of Linux operating on the Treo 650.
PalmSource has been busy working on its own Linux based Access Linux Platform platform for smartphones. PalmSource does not plan to have the new operating system ready until 2007 at the earliest.
Article Comments(176 comments)
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- and now... LG opensources WebOS -Poopie
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain