Palm OS Java JVM Updated
Palm have quietly released an updated version of the Palm OS Java Micro Environment via their support page. This latest version 5.7.2 includes updated support for the Treos 680 & 755p as well as a few bug fixes.
Some testing on my Treo 680 shows that the Alt key issue has indeed been fixed - pressing it will now pop up a virtual keyboard & character map - and the hard buttons are working again. I didn't notice much difference stability-wise: both Opera Mini and Gmail seemed to play along nicely, but that was true of the previous version 5.7.1 as well. Unfortunately, there's still no copy-and-paste support, but it's nice to see that Palm haven't completely forgotten about Java.
The release notes point out the following changes:
- IBM added NetLibSocketConnect time out.
- IBM now handles overriding Displayable.getTitle.
- Fixed alt key producing '?' on Treo 680 and 700.
- Fixed virtual keys, home, etc., now quit Java app.
- Fixed CustomItem.keyReleased and keyRepeated.
You'll need to make sure you delete any previous versions of the JVM before installing this one.