Rumor: Palm Places a 5 Million Unit ODM Order
Updated Rumor: A new report in the Chinese Newspaper Commercial Times, carried by Digitimes, claims that Palm Inc. has put in a significant order for "several models of smartphones" with the Asian mobile phone ODM company Compal Communications. The report goes on to state the ODM orders could likely top five million units in 2009.
Compal has also received ODM orders for several models of smartphones from Palm with the order volumes likely to top five million units, said the paper, noting that Palm's orders will be the growth driver for Compal in 2009.
While we can only speculate on the accuracy or possible outcomes of the report, the 2009 timing would fit in well with Palm's previously stated intentions to debut products utilizing its next generation system software in early 2009.
Update: An additional report from the China Economic News Service provides a few key additional details regarding this deal. The CENS article states the Compal contract is specifically for "for smartphones installed with Microsoft's operating systems."
Article Comments(10 comments)
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -heavyduty
- Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -zinzan
- RE: Reference to the Palm Foleo -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Reference to the Palm Foleo -linds
- Reference to the Palm Foleo -HyperScheduler
- RE: WebOS smartwatch -Tuckermaclain
- WebOS smartwatch -BaalthazaaR
- Palm as a Zombie Brand? -dagwud