Bluetooth Memory Stick Gets SIG Approval
Long-time readers will remember that Sony talked about a Bluetooth card that used the Memory Stick slot almost a year ago. Despite plans to release the Infostick in June of last year, it has yet to see the light of day. That may soon change as the company recently received notice from the Bluetooth SIG that a product called the PEGA-MSB1 is Bluetooth 1.1 qualified.
Bluetooth qualification is a necessary precondition of the intellectual property license for Bluetooth wireless technology. Qualification is also necessary to apply a Bluetooth trademark to a product. Sony received it for this adapter on February 28.
Though almost no details were given, a great deal can be learned from just the product name. Only the peripherals for the Clié line begin with "PEGA". In addition, only Clié peripherals that use the Memory Stick slot begin with "PEGA-MS". For example, PEGA-MSC1 almost certainly stands for Memory Stick Camera One. Following that logic, PEGA-MSB1 means this will be Memory Stick Bluetooth adapter One.
Of course, there is no hint of when Sony will officially announce this adapter, though it has a press conference scheduled for Monday to talk about a new handheld and CeBIT, the world's largest trade show, begins Tuesday. Either one would be an excellent opportunity.
There is also no suggestion of a price. The Palm Bluetooth SD card has recently gone into limited sale for $130 and is expected to be widely available by the end of this month. The PEGA-MSB1 will probably be competitively priced.
Thanks to Dan Royea for the tip. -Ed
Article Comments(59 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah