Palm Preparing for Linux Development
Open jobs listings on Palm's website indicate the company is preparing for Linux development for a new generation of Palm devices. This is a positive sign that the company is already preparing for developing new mobile devices using Palm OS for Linux.
A search for "linux" on Palm's job site currently returns 13 engineering positions. The company is hiring for linux software engineers, smartphone browser developers as well as a positions for Mobile Handset development.
The job description for the Senior Linux Software Engineer, Mobile Handset position reads:
As the Senior Software Engineer, you will play a key role in the architecture, design and implementation of enabling technologies for a new generation of Palm devices. Working as part of the overall system team, you will work on the underlying support for various software applications.
The job openings are clearly an indicator that Palm is preparing for the upcoming linux Palm OS products from PalmSource. During PalmSource's last investor conference call, CEO Patrick McVeigh announced the company is shifting all engineering efforts on the future Linux based versions of the Palm OS.
There are two versions of Palm OS for Linux under development. The version for low-end and feature phones is planned to be completed by summer 2006 and a high end version for smartphones is expected to be ready in the second half of next year. Palm Inc previously announced that it has renewed its Palm OS license through 2009.
Thanks to Brighthand for the tip.
Article Comments(223 comments)
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- and now... LG opensources WebOS -Poopie
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain