Verizon Pre 3 Spotted in the Wild
While it's not as surprising as the sighting of the first all-touchscreen WebOS device, another newsworthy handset was spotted in yesterday's batch of leaked images on Precentral.
Since its announcement at HP's February WebOS event in San Francisco, little has been said about the upcoming Pre 3. It was widely speculated that a version would be appearing for Verizon Wireless, due to its dual CDMA/GSM radio design. A picture was sent to Precentral yesterday confirming that some variant of the Pre 3 is indeed running on the Verizon Wireless 3G CDMA network.
Since Sprint has taken a pass on every WebOS device since 2009's Pixi, Verizon is definitely the leading candidate to carry this handset, as they have supported the Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, and Pre 2 over the past 15 months. In addition, Big Red appears to be gradually shifting their non-LTE smartphones to global devices as a way of extending the usefulness and longevity of 3G handsets. The carrier currently fields six global smartphones running an even mixture Android, Blackberry OS and Windows Mobile, with the Android-based Droid Incredible 2 also an upcoming global handset.
A Verizon Pre 3 would be a nice fit in VZW's lineup and be a suitable replacement for their aging Windows Mobile 6-based devices as well as helping the current Pre 2 meet its reportedly swift EOL schedule.
Article Comments(10 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife