Palm and Sony Ericsson to Push Bluetooth
Palm inc. recently released a Bluetooth wireless-networking SD card and now it's going to put its mouth where its money is. It and Sony Ericsson have announced an agreement in which the two will jointly market the T68 mobile phone, Palm handhelds, and the Palm Bluetooth Card as the ideal solution for mobile professionals.
Palm began selling its Bluetooth card from the PalmStore last week. It costs $130.
The agreement between Palm and Sony Ericsson goes beyond just marketing. The two will work together to help wireless providers like Cingular create applications that make use of Bluetooth... and their products, of course.
Cingular expects to offer the T68 and the Palm Bluetooth Card as a way to allow customers to access Cingular's suite of Xpress Mail products, the Cingular My Wireless Window portal, and other enterprise-based data applications.
"The emergence of Bluetooth will enable various devices to connect," said Todd Kort, principal analyst at Gartner. "Users will likely maintain small wireless 'gateways' through a mobile phone in their purses or on their belts so they can pick up any Bluetooth-enabled device, such as a notebook computer, mobile phone or PDA, and find it instantly connected to the Internet through the gateway. We believe that the Bluetooth market will mature quickly, becoming a mainstream property of new mobile phones and high-end PDAs by the end of 2002.''
Thanks to wim huizinga for the tip. -Ed
Article Comments(87 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah