How Palm Re-Enabled iTunes Media Sync (Round 2)
PreCentral has a piece up examining exactly how Palm has overcome Apple's attempts to lock it out of iTunes. As detailed before, when the Pre is placed into media sync mode its USB node identifies itself as a generic iPod. To stop the process it seems Apple simply blocked Palm's supplied vendor ID of Palm Inc. According to PC, to reestablish media syncing the Pre now supplies a vendor ID which identifies itself as an Apple Inc product.
Palm's PR head, Lynn Fox has stated that Apple may be using the USB Vendor ID system improperly telling allthingsd: "Palm believes that openness and interoperability offer better experiences for users by allowing them the freedom to use the content they own without interference across devices and services, so on behalf of consumers, we have notified the USB Implementers Forum of what we believe is improper use of the Vendor ID number by another member."
Article Comments(96 comments)
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo
- Like Deja Vu -T_W
- RE: Don't we have this already? -richf
- RE: Don't we have this already? -LiveFaith