Cypress Semiconductor Providing Pre's Touchscreen Tech
A new report from Digitimes claims that Cypress Semiconductor will be the supplier of the touch screen technology and panel on the Palm Pre. Digitimes sources claim Cypress will be the sole provider for the capacitive multi-touch technology employed on the device.
A scan of Cypress' website shows a wide range of touchscreen products. The CY8CTMG110-32LTXI or the Multi-Touch Gesture TrueTouch controller seems the likely set of components. It offers single-touch, multi-touch and gesture capabilities with support for up to 44 X/Y sensor inputs and screen sizes 8.4" and below. Cypress says it can perform traditional touchscreen functions including interpreting single touches, and gestures such as tap, double-tap, pan, pinch, scroll and rotate. All of which have already been demonstrated on the Pre in some form.
Cypress Semiconductor calls itself the "leader in capacitive touch sensing solutions" and is headquartered in San Jose, just around the corner from Palm Inc in Sunnyvale. The company also has numerous sales, manufacturing and design facilities and locations around the world.
The company also has a flash video posted (.swf link) which demonstrates some of the functionality of its true touch products.
Article Comments(10 comments)
- Check out my apps! (Updated) -Gekko
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -Gekko
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -HyperScheduler
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -richf
- RE: It saddens me that this is all -richf
- It saddens me that this is all -deucalion
- End times? -HyperScheduler