Samsung Launching i539 Smartphone in China
Samsung and PalmSource recently held a event in China to announce the Samsung i539 Palm OS smartphone. The SPH-i539 is the first native Chinese Palm OS smartphone.
The Samsung SPH-i539 will soon be available on the Anycall CMDA network in China and is the first official Palm OS smartphone to be available in mainland China. It is scheduled to be available around April 20th.
The Samsung i539 phone runs Palm OS Garnet v5.41. It runs a Motorola MX1 CPU with 64 MB ROM / 32 MB RAM memory and has a CMDA 1x (800MHz) radio. It has a clamshell formfactor with dual displays. The main display supports 65,000 colors and measures 2.3 inches (324x352 pixels), while the exterior display is a 128x96 pixel OLED.
It also has a megapixel digital camera with a LED flash, an SD memory expansion slot, voice recorder and eternal mp3 playback controls. It weighs 5.3 ounces (150g).
This smartphone is similar to the US version SPH-i550 which has been long delayed/cancelled by Sprint/Samsung. The demand for the US version is high as many Sprint users has been looking forward to this model. Especially people looking for a Palm OS Garnet smartphone with a clamshell form factor. An online petition has even been created for the release of the SPH-i550 in the US.
Thanks to wincat, Jonatan and Rich for the tip.
Article Comments(12 comments)
- Rubinstein on Palm. . . -HyperScheduler
- RE: Check out my apps! (Updated) -HyperScheduler
- RE: Check out my apps! (Updated) -StrawMan
- Check out my apps! (Updated) -Gekko
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -Gekko
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -HyperScheduler
- RE: Palm: I'm ready to wallow now -richf