PDA Performance Announces Its Closure
The ever-constricting Palm-conomy has just claimed another victim. PDAPerformance, developers of the "OS within an OS" Saguaro as well as the LineUp widget platform, has just announced their immediate closure. No specific reason other than unfortunate financial circumstances and the dire straits around the entire Palm OS ecosystem are given.
Their entire website has been replaced with a polite goodbye letter, thanking their many fans and customers throughout their six years of years of business. No archived media, downloads, or additional contact information is available on the site.
The much-hyped Saguaro environment was promised to bring about a revolution in Palm OS functionality and aesthetics, offering "multi-tasking" widgets from a variety of content providers. Saguaro was certainly up to par on an cosmetic and UI level, offering plenty of eye candy and windowed visual UI elements right out of OS X Aqua or Windows Vista Aero. A nice overview by Ryan of the work in progress that was Saguaro circa April 2007 can be found here.
This announcement comes just a few short months after the assimilation of PalmGear by PocketGear. And earlier we covered Michael Mace's analysis of the struggles facing so many mobile app developers. PDA Performance’s unfortunate announcement makes the predictions of doom and gloom found in the Mobile Opportunity report all the more chillingly prescient.
Article Comments(15 comments)
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah
- Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Gekko