Palm Releases Major 700w Update
Palm has made available today a comprehensive software update for the Windows Mobile powered Treo 700w smartphone on Verizon Wireless. The free update gives Palm Treo 700w users automatic push email functionality and improved exchange synchronization with outlook, calendar items, contacts and tasks from Exchange Server 2003 SP2.
The 700w software update (version 1.10) provides the following updates:
- Enterprise email support with Microsoft's Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) with Direct Push Email Technology for automatic wireless synchronization of email, calendar, contacts and now tasks with Exchange Server 2003 with Service Pack 2
- Enhanced email capabilities, including more support of push email solutions, such as Wireless Sync, Verizon Wireless' email solution for Domino and Exchange environments; and enhanced synchronization capabilities with the ability to maintain an active data connection after POP or IMAP email synchronizations, and the ability to auto- synchronize all email accounts based on user settings
- Updated memory management
- Pictures and Videos media application enhancements
- New Wireless Manager that provides an updated interface for turning wireless radios on and off on the Treo 700w
The addition of push e-mail support is by far the main attraction of this update. Windows Mobile MSFP includes Direct Push Technology and gives Treo 700w smartphone users automatic wireless updates of their email, calendar items, contacts and tasks, allowing IT managers to deliver this information directly from Exchange Server 2003 SP2 without incurring additional third-party infrastructure costs.
The downloadable update and installation instructions can be found here. Additionally, Verizon Wireless will notify their customers who own 700w smartphones of this update's release.
The Palm Treo 700w is exclusively available from Verizon Wireless in the US.