Palm Announces the Treo 750v
Palm today has announced the Treo 750v smartphone, the first Treo smartphone to take advantage of Vodafone's 3G/UMTS network and is also the first Treo running Windows Mobile targeted for Europe. The new Treo 750v will be available first to Vodafone customers in the following countries: Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, the UK and other regions by the end of the calendar year.
"The new Treo 750v smartphone -- made available first in Europe -- on the Vodafone 3G/UMTS network is Palm's latest salvo to reach more customers in more regions with an ever-expanding line of compelling Treo smartphones,” said Ed Colligan, president and chief executive officer from Palm. "Expanding the Treo footprint globally is a key focus for Palm, and with collaborative marketing investments in Europe from Palm, Vodafone and Microsoft, we are confident we can captivate mobile professionals and businesses and help them be more productive in the office and on the go.”
The Treo 750v combines the hallmark Palm experience of a multifeatured mobile phone with email, messaging, web browsing and organization software all in a new compact design. The new smartphone comes with Microsoft's Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) for Windows Mobile 5, which includes Direct Push Technology and enhanced security features free and out of the box. It is also fully compatible with Vodafone Business Email, giving remote access to enterprise and Internet-based email accounts. These business-ready solutions address the need for a robust push-email solution that can be deployed easily by small businesses to global enterprises.
Unique to the Treo smartphone on Windows Mobile is a suite of software enhancements developed by Palm that underscores its brand promise of fast access, ease of use and simplicity. Examples include the following:
- Today Screen enhancements, which feature the ability to "dial by name” with a few keystrokes on the keyboard, perform a web search directly from the Today Screen and perform one-touch dialing with personalized photo speed dials;
- Ability to manage a call directly from the Today Screen and stay on top of voicemail with on-screen, VCR-like icons, such as rewind, delete and fast-forward controls for easy navigation;
- Ability to ignore a call and quickly compose a text message, such as "In a meeting” or "Can't talk”; and
- Dedicated messaging application for SMS/MMS that is organized in a "chat thread” so users can reference prior messages and use emoticons for a personal touch.
Treo 750v Specs
The Palm Treo 750v runs Windows Mobile 5.2 Pocket PC edition. It is powered by a 300MHz Samsung processor and has 128MB nonvolatile flash memory (60MB available for storage). The display is a 65k colour, 240 x 240 pixel touch screen. It has integrated Bluetooth 1.2 wireless technology, but like previous Treos does not include Wi-Fi support. It has a new side mounted mini-SD memory expansion and a 1.3 megapixel camera with 2x digital zoom.
The wireless phone is a quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS radio. It supports the 850/900/1800/1900 GSM bands, and 850/1900/2100 UTMS bands. The battery is a removable 1200 mAH Lithium-ion, good for a claimed 4.5 hours GSM / 2.5 hours UMTS talk time, with 10 days standby time.
It has dimensions of 111 mm x 58 mm x 22 mm (4.4" x 2.3" x 0.8" inches) and weighs in at 154 g (5.4 ounces). The casing is slightly slimmer than the 650/700 series and the casing has a "soft touch" paint finish. It is also the first new Treo model to have an internal antenna.
Article Comments(70 comments)
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo
- Like Deja Vu -T_W
- RE: Don't we have this already? -richf
- RE: Don't we have this already? -LiveFaith