Garmin Discontinues All But One PDA Model
When we reported on the trimming of the vast majority of Garmin's PDA GPS models earlier in November, it seemed that Garmin was going to keep alive a handful of Palm OS and Windows Mobile GPS handhelds for the forseeable future. Now an article on the Inquirer website indicates that a Garmin spokesperson has admitted that all of their GPS handhelds are dead other than the Palm OS-based iQue 3000, released in early 2006. All of Garmin's Windows Mobile-based units are now discontinued.
The Inquirer article offers some insightful commentary that echoes the general concensus amongst many of the PIC/Palm OS faithful. That is, Garmin is following the "death of the PDA" mentality as a self-fulfilling prophecy amongst manufacturers falling over themselves to force smartphones (and smartphone-based GPS solutions) into users' hands with all due haste.
Article Comments(5 comments)
- RE: Don't we have this already? -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo
- Like Deja Vu -T_W
- RE: Don't we have this already? -richf