Backlight Problem Afflicts New Treo Models
According to a note on Handspring's Support Site, some of the new Treo 90 and Treo 270 units have a problem with their backlights. They have a defective component that will cause them to fail. However, this won't happen to all Treo 90s and 270s. According to Handspring, "units that operate for longer than six weeks without backlight failure are unlikely to fail in the future".
Apparently, there is no way to know at the time of purchase whether any specific unit will fail. Potentially any Treo 90 or 270 could have the defective component, not just ones from a single production run. The company has declined to say who supplied the defective part.
Handspring will replace all units whose backlights do fail. The company seems to be trying hard to minimize its customers' inconvenience. It will send an advance replacement unit, free of charge, and with expedited shipping. There will also be no charge to return the defective unit.
The company is currently checking its entire inventory to be sure none of them have the defective part. While this is going on, no Treo 90s or Treo 270s are being shipped. Handspring hopes to have shipments resume in two or three weeks.
Of course, the company says all new units are being assembled with parts that have been confirmed to not be defective.
The Treo 270 is Handspring's latest smartphone. Both it and the Treo 90 have a 12-bit color screen that requires a backlight to be readable in most conditions.
Thanks to Eugene for the tip. -Ed
Article Comments(15 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah