BBC on HP's Desire to be Cool
The BBC has just posted a new article entitled "Can Leo Apotheker make Hewlett Packard a cool company?" that discusses surprising amount of new tidbits about the company's plans for WebOS and the Palm branding.
First off, while he does not make a definitive statement to this effect in the interview, he does hint that the Palm and its related sub-brands (Pre, Treo etc) are headed for extinction. According to the BBC article, the "new product line announced in February will be HP-branded and carry a "new name".
HP's big February 9th WebOS event in San Francisco will be followed by an additional undisclosed "unveiling" on March 14th, something that in Apotheker's words is a "vision of what HP is capable of in the future...the starting point". He goes on to discuss the company's many pieces and areas of expertise, ranging from hardware to software to consumer and enterprise offerings.
With the remainder of this quarter and the early part of Q2 still the relative calm before the coming storm of Apple's annual iPad refresh and the arrival of a horde of Android Honeycomb-powered tablets, HP's time to strike draws nigh; thus the most encouraging piece of information to take from the interview is the following excerpt:
"HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn't have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship," he promises, saying the products launched on 9 February will be on sale just a few weeks later.
The articles then concludes with an amusing aside where Apotheker takes his assistant's Palm Pre and demonstrates multitasking, championing the device on the strength of its OS instead of its hardware.
Article Comments(39 comments)
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah