Samsung Unveils Next Generation Smartphone
Samsung plans to release the SPH-M330 smartphone in the U.S. in April, according to PCWorld. This is an updated version of the company's I300. It will have a 240 by 160 screen capable of displaying 256 colors and will, of course, run the Palm OS.
It will have both wireless voice and data capabilities. It will run on CDMA 2000 1X networks and support gpsOne.
CDMA 2000 1X supports an average of 144 kbps packet data in a mobile environment. gpsOne uses signals from the GPS satellite constellation and from CDMA cell towers to locate the wireless handheld. This will allow for location-based services.
The M330 will be 4.9 by 2.2 by .7 inches and weigh 5.3 ounces. This makes it lighter and thinner than its predecessor.
It will run off a rechargeable battery and have 4 hours of talk time and 100 hours of standby time.
The Samsung representative didn't release all the details. He wasn't willing to say what version of the Palm OS the M330 will run, saying it hadn't been decided yet. He also wouldn't say how much RAM it will have or give a price. He did say it will be available through Sprint.
Last week, PDA France had some information on this device, which it called the I330, based on talking to Samsung representatives at the GSM World Congress 2002. According it that report, the I300 replacement will run Palm OS 4.1 and have 8 MB of RAM.
The issue of what version of the Palm OS this device will run was made even more complicated when an anonymous source, citing inside info, said the device would run Palm OS 3.5.2.
Thanks to John Bartley for the PC World tip. -Ed
Article Comments(44 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife