No Samsung SGH-i500 Smartphone This Year
Samsung's upcoming Palm OS 5 smartphone release date has been pushed back. Originally scheduled to ship in the third quarter, now it many not make it to the US until 2004.
According to a report on InfoSync, Samsung has confirmed the SGH-i500 will not be available in the United States this year. It was previously reported to be available in the third quarter, even though no carriers have officially announced they will stock the model.
The device runs PalmOS 5.2 on an 300mhz Intel PXA262 processor, with 32MB ROM / 32MB RAM. Unlike its CDMA cousin, the SGH-i500 lacks a dedicated Grafitti area. Palm OS 5.2 includes the Graffiti 2 input system.
The SGH-i500 has a Tri-band GSM (900/1800/1900) phone radio and uses a GPRS Class 8 (1 Tx, 4 Rx) chip. It comes with a rechargeable (1100mAh) battery which allows for 200 minute of talk time and 100 hours on standby. There will be an optional (1700mAh) extended battery.
The main inner display is a 65000 TFT color screen with 320 x 320 resolution (actual 324x352 pixel including the extra phone status area). The exterior (caller ID/Time) display is a 256 Color Organic EL (OLED) Sub-LCD.
It features a built in 330K pixel VGA (640 x 480) camera with an embedded flash. In addition there is a SD expansion slot that supports SD/IO and a standard Ir port. The SGH-i500 also has a speaker that supports Polyphonic ringtones and standard MIDI.
The Smartphone has dimensions of 3.5 x 2.3 x 1 inches (88 x 54 x 26 mm) and weighs 5.3 ounces (150g).
In addition to the standard Palm OS software, the i500 comes with a Palm media pack for audio and video playback, a WAP 2.0 browser, an MMS and email messaging client and adds support for J2ME applications. Samsung also states that it will come with various third party web browsers, but no specifics are given.
Article Comments(14 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah