Developer Group Cautioned on Pre Tethering
The developer group operating the Pre Dev Wiki was "cautioned" this weekend by Palm that any attempts or discussions about enabling Internet tethering on the Pre could cause Palm to "react" against the group. A note has been placed on the former tethering page that states:
We have been politely cautioned by Palm that any discussion of tethering during the Sprint exclusivity period (and perhaps beyond—we don't know yet) will probably cause Sprint to complain to Palm, and if that happened then Palm would be forced to react against the people running the IRC channel and this wiki.
We want to retain a good relationship with Palm, hence we are not allowing discussion of tethering on the IRC channel, or in this wiki.
Though it has already been shown to be possible, this decision effectively has placed tethering on hold from one of the larger, unofficial developer groups. There is nothing to stop this among other hackers or groups, though they may expect possible repercussions from Palm unless the information is somehow leaked out anonymously.
Sprint is currently the exclusive carrier for the Palm Pre and does not offer any service plans at the moment which allow for tethering. Unfortunately it is common in the US for carriers to remove features or cripple certain aspects of a Phone. A similar situation was seen on the Sprint Treo 650 and 700 series, though no overt action was ever taken by Palm or Sprint to quash these hacks.
Article Comments(9 comments)
- and now... LG opensources WebOS -Poopie
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain