CodeWarrior 8 Now Available
Metrowerks has begun shipping CodeWarrior for Palm OS platform, Version 8.0. New features in this version include project wizards that automate the creation of new applications, an enhanced C++ compiler, support for USB device debugging and completely integrated Palm OS API documentation. It also offers increased support for Springboard module development and much more. It is compatible with both Windows and Macintosh.
Until November 3, it costs $400 for new users and $200 for owners of previous versions. After that, the price rise to $500 and $250. The academic version is priced at $120; the academic license renewal is $75.
CodeWarrior includs an award-winning editor, project manager, optimizing C/C++ compiler, linker, emulators and target device interface that enables source and assembly level debugging.
It allows users to develop applications in a Macintosh or Windows environment for any Palm Powered device, including those from Palm, Symbol, Handspring, Handera, Sony, Kyocera, and IBM, as well as for any of the new Palm OS based smartphones available now from Handspring, Kyocera and Samsung.
New features in version 8.0 include:
- Project wizards automate the creation of new applications.
- Enhanced C++ compiler enables larger, more complex programs without introducing code penalties.
- Expanded Mode allows C++ virtual tables and exception tables to be located in the storage heap leaving more room for dynamic data structures and global variables
- Enhanced debugger features support for USB-based device debugging, reducing development time
- Completely integrated API documentation provides a comprehensive Palm OS knowledge base
- A new version of the CodeWarrior integrated development environment with numerous updates and additional features
- A new 100+ page tutorial included with the product and a free online course at CodeWarriorU.com allow newer Palm OS platform developers an easy way to jump-start their project.
"With the new release of CodeWarrior, Springboard developers now have an easy, one-stop solution for developing their Springboard applications," said Rita Sharma, developer relations manager, Handspring.
According to a Gartner Group report published at the beginning of this month, Metrowerks owns 80% of the market for Palm OS tools.
"Metrowerks offers the leading PDA platform development toolset on the market today -- CodeWarrior, which has enabled the development of more than 8,000 applications. These tools are used to support our DragonBall microprocessor family with unrivalled code generation. By leveraging the common user interface available in CodeWarrior tools, developers can have a smooth transition from 68K to ARM,” said Omid Tahernia, vice president and general manager of Motorola’s Wireless and Mobile Systems Division.
Thanks to Gerardo A Dada for the tip. -Ed
Article Comments(30 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Don't we have this already? -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo