Palm OS 4.1 Bug Fixes List
When Sony released the N760C, it ran Palm OS 4.1, the first model to do so. Many people wondered what were the differences between OS 4.0 and 4.1. A Sony spokesperson said the only changes were to fix some bugs and there were no new features. Recently, a list of bug fixes was posted on the Palm Developer's Forum. For the most part, these are quite technical and none of the bugs fixed appear to be major problems with the OS.
The OS 4.1 update can't be applied as a patch; the entire ROM needs to be overwritten. Palm gave the updated code to the licensees but it is up to them to distribute it.
Below is a list of the most important bug fixes:
- WinPaintPixel did not draw properly with custom pattern. If the custom pattern was active, calling WinPaintPixel caused the pixel to always draw using the background color.
- 3rd party Alarm sound databases using a different database name than the standard but with a lower version number displayed as options in the datebook's alarm picker, but would not actually play. Changed to not display in such a case.
- Leading spaces of URL in OpenURL menu crashed the device.
- CtlNewSliderControl did not set the graphical attribute on the slider controls it created.
- If you have a slider control with a non-exact background bitmap (i.e., the bitmap is not exactly the same width as your slider), you almost always got "Background must be at least half as wide as slider" whenever the OS attempts to draw the slider.
- Sliders with non-zero minValues did not work properly.
- Graphics filling rectangles using solid patterns with some transfer modes did the wrong thing.
- Resizing a file on a peripheral card for the first time by an amount that is larger than the space available on the peripheral card resulted in the rest of the space on the card being "lost."
- If two files are created on a peripheral card with filenames longer than 27 characters, and all characters after the first 13 are the same, the second file could not be accessed
- Strings that contain a Hiragana/Katakana vowel followed by a Cho-on (a bar that extends the sound of the previous vowel) don't sort correctly.
- TsmSetFepMode did not work if a numeric field has the focus in the form. It also did not work if there is no form being displayed.
- Calling ATSmsGetMessageCount with a message type "MA" caused Fatal exception
- RxEnable, RxDisable op codes for SrmControl did not work for virtual drivers.
- Could only dismount 1 file system.
- Could only mount 4 FAT file systems.
- INetLib filled in DeviceID in the CTP Header extension by calling the network interface directly.
- The stdFont for Japanese had incorrect glyphs for the Box drawing characters (and the kg and mg glyphs).
- A "bad window" error popped up on debug ROMs if the window bit depth was greater than that of the screen.
- The character height for Symbol7 font was incorrect.
- From Clipper,m a button labeled with Japanese text in an <a> anchor tag with 'button' attribute was not displayed.
- Long volume name support was not compatible with peripheral card implementation (/palm/volinfo.txt vs. /Volume.nam)
- With some devices, 255 character volume names did not work.
- When opening a file for exclusive read access, a "File permissions denied" error was returned. When opening a directory, permissions were not ignored.
- When FSFileCreate was called to set the filename which has "space" character after 8th letter, the extension of alias name (DOS or legacy name) was wrong.
- VFSFileRead did not return vfsErrFileEOF when reading past the end of a file.
- sysNotifyEvtGotEvent notification was a significant performance drain for games because it went out for every event. This was fixed to limit the notification to a subset of events.
- LmGetLocaleSetting returned invalid characters for currencies in Japanese ROM.
- Using the dynamic UI creation routines did work properly when there was a list on the form with static entries created in Constructor.
- Using dynamic UI on a form with graphical or slider controls would corrupt which bitmaps are drawn unpredictably.
- Invalid pointer sent to TelPhbGetSelectedPhonebook resulted in crash
- Tapping on links that invoke a "palmcall" results in the title bar being temporarily frozen to reading, "Connecting...", with the hypnotic circle/meatball displayed.
- Shortcut .. 6 always displays the Palm OS 4.0 ROM compile date versus the device-specific ROM compile date.
- TCP window size is not updated when the window size drops below the maximum segment size, but is greater than zero.
- Netlib settings were improperly updated on disconnect.
- If web clipping isn't installed, viewing the contents of a card that includes a .pqa that uses the default icon, resulted in a fatal alert.
- Intermittent secure transaction error 1428 "The server has updated the security sequence number" when loading pqas
- "Hidden" peripheral card with no start.prc still caused switch to Launcher.
- Repeatedly inserting unformatted peripheral cards resulted in stacked format dialogs.
- HotSycing after adding a FAT file system to a device results in a Fatal Exception.
- PIC: Developer's Forum
Article Comments(24 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Don't we have this already? -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo