Pre's iTunes Hack Detailed
Well known computer hacker DVD Jon Lech Johansen's, aka DVD Jon, has posted a pair of articles on his personal blog which detail how the Palm Pre is able to connect with Apple's iTunes software. (via Slashdot) It turns out that when "Media Sync" is selected on the Pre, it talks to to iTunes and returns specific XML info about the device which identifies itself as a generic iPod.
When the Pre is in "Media Sync" mode it identifies itself as an Apple iPod. However, it's only the Mass Storage interface that identifies itself as an iPod. The root USB node (IOUSBDevice) still identifies the device as a Palm Pre (not visible in the image above). This means that Apple can very easily update iTunes to block the Pre.
Article Comments(8 comments)
- I got one -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Don't we have this already? -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -richf
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dmitrygr
- Palm phone on HDblog -palmato
- Palm PVG100 -hgoldner
- RE: Like Deja Vu -PacManFoo
- Like Deja Vu -T_W