Treo Rumors & Analysis: Four New Treos Forthcoming?
What this may indicate is that the new formfactor now seen in a series of leaked blurry spy shots may actually give birth to four different individual devices featuring different operating systems and target markets.
- A low-end Garnet-based Treo for GSM networks. A CDMA version might also be in the works. This is the Palm OS version of the rumored "Palm Gandolf". A report on TreoCentral suggests that this could be called the Treo 690. This is the likely device seen in the recent PIC photos and video (since removed due to Palm Inc legal requests).
- A mid-range Windows Mobile Standard Treo (aka "Smartphone" edition) with a 320x240 non-touchscreen LCD. It is unknown if this would be released to GSM and/or CDMA carriers. This was reported by Morning Paper and covered by PIC back in June. Such a model could conceivably carry the Treo 690w moniker.
- A high-end Windows Mobile 6 Professional-based Treo. This would be the rumored Treo 800w that has been rumored to be coming to both Sprint and Verizon's domestic CDMA networks for some time. Rumored specs of the 800w include integrated wi-fi as well as a 2.0 megapixel camera, A2DP Bluetooth audio and EVDO Rev.A.
- A high-end Palm OS II/aka Palm Linux-based Treo 800p. Morning Paper's tipster suggests that this device will debut on Sprint's network and won't see the light of day until 2008. Palm's CEO stated at the last conference call that a Linux based smartphone OS would not debut before 2008. It is also rumored to be an EVDO Rev.A device with wi-fi. However, this flagship device would also feature global functionality similar to the recent GSM/CDMA hybrid BlackBerry 8830.
Adding fuel to the myriad of rumors reported above is page 76 from Palm's Analyst Day presentation from April 10th of this year. That particular slide (displayed above) shows a three-tiered device strategy for Palm's Treo line. All of the rumored specs for the four potential Treos outlined above do appear in some manner on the Analyst Day slide.
Several hints at future hardware offerings were suggested by the slide's graphics, including three different sizes of LCDs: large 320x320(the traditional Garnet and possible future WM6/Palm OS II Treo screens), small 320x320 (for the 690p), and 320x240 (for future Windows Mobile Smartphone devices such as a Treo 690w). Both 1.3megapixel and 2.0 megapixel cameras appear in the Palm PowerPoint slide with no reference to VGA camerasperhaps a sign that the Treo 680's is soon to reach End-of-Life status.
Article Comments(26 comments)
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -asiayeah
- Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Gekko